when you wonder where He is...

Thursday, January 12, 2012

He catches my attention at a red light a couple miles from home.

my mind has wandered and my ears have tuned out the chatter...

 but my eyes?

they see it.

they see the air painted all rosy and pink around me.




and it's as the day is dying that i look up

and my breath catches

and i beg Him to stop time for just 5 minutes.


long enough to grab my camera and catch the masterpiece He has created.




the sun, however, keeps sinking

despite my pleas.

but the lower it falls

the more stunning the beauty.




i race inside the house like a mad woman.

he looks up at me with a question in his eyes...

the sun!! tony! the sun!  the way it's sinking...it's beautiful!

and my incoherent rant follows me back out the door.


i stand in the driveway as neighbours pull in weary from their long day at work.

some smile.

some shake their heads.

some stop to look too.




and i turn in a circle and keep snapping.

keep trying to keep up with my God Who creates such beauty out of thin air.



they run around me, those 2 girls who glow in the fighting light.

ethereal in the fading of an aging sun, they giggle out their wonder of The One Who loves them so.




and he says it to me tonight, in the moments before he falls asleep.  

how he read of lazarus and The One who raised him from the dead and the sisters 2 who were devastated by the slowness of their Lord's timing.

when their brother lay dead in that grave and there was no hope left.

how Jesus, knowing so much more than they did, says to sweet martha, all bowed over with grief,

"...did I not tell you that if you believe
you will see the glory of God?"
john 11:40


do you find yourself facing a moment, a circumstance, that no longer breathes hope?

have you watched what you have treasured, die?

tenderly wrapped it up

and gently tucked it away?


have you wondered where He is

while knowing full well that if He had come in time,

what is dead 

could be filled with life?


as you question like martha, 

i would stand beside you as mary.


because the questions find rest on the tip of my tongue.


but with feet planted on cement on a mild january day,

my heart hears His whisper...

the Lord wraps Himself in light as with a garment;
He stretches out the heavens like a tent...
He makes the clouds His chariot
and rides on the wings of the wind.
psalm 104: 2-3



the night may be closing in around you.

circumstances may be threatening to steal your joy...

your peace...

your hope.


but He's coming, dear one.

He is coming.



just keep your eyes on the clouds...