strong words...

Saturday, January 8, 2011

stumbling into the living room this morning, hair a mess from a restless sleep and a mind still caught between the land of nod and the present reality of 3 excitable children, i missed the scene outside our front window.

coffee mug in hand and curling pajama clad legs underneath me, i finally raised my bleary eyes to greet the morning.

i expected sun.

not totally sure why,

but i did.

instead, i was met with snow falling...sideways;  the strong wind from the north pushing flakes to earth in tiny, icy pellets.



and i found myself thinking of words...

how they gather, build...one little word on top of another until there is a pile that covers and blankets heavy.


this past week found me opening a message in my inbox.

full of words from a dear friend who loves fiercely, it fairly shook with the intensity of warning, of pleading to take a step back, to seek His Face.

some of the words were hard to read...i found defense rising, desperate to justify myself and my reasonings...

but they were words needed to break through the apathy that had begun to take root.

i have a card, placed in my kitchen to remind me...


only speak words that make souls stronger...

sometimes the hard words, timely spoken, are what strengthen the most.

to know that someone loves us enough to risk it all...

it builds something stronger in a fragile soul.


i have a little red book that i carry around with me.  the words within are the words i've copied with my own hand.



they aren't my words...they are His and i am determined to place each one from the small book of philippians deep within my heart.

many changes building on the next have become overwhelming...little ones begin to wonder about the many boxes and uncertainty begins to stifle peace.

what has been constant is suddenly shaky beneath our feet.

and so i whisper words to them, to me.  words written with a hand that was certain in the God he served...words meant to encourage a city of believers during uncertain times.  words meant to instill courage, peace, faith...

grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ... (1:2)

i can only speak words that make souls stronger if i speak words that come from a heart full of His.

in these moments barren of certainty, stark in the reality of change and brokenness, i cling to His promise...

abide in Me, and I in you. as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the Vine; you are the branches. whoever abides in Me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. (john 15:4-5)

and He carries it over...like a ribbon weaving a continual thread.  abide,  cling...because He knows how to bring each word, each situation, each moment together into a greater picture that bears His fruit in a life that feels the sting of winter...

(photo credit: sweet becky)